Monday, December 31, 2007

A great 2008?

I seized the initiative as part of my new year initiative to be more successful, and called Andrew. When I got past the security and call filtering, I pretended to sound as though the process hadn't been a major inconvenience. (I've got too many passwords to remember without having to remember ones necessary to speak to supposed best friends.

"Long time!" Andrew said cheerfully. I resisted giving reasons why, wishing I'd stuck to email this time, too.

"Just wanted to wish you, Sabine and the children a happy new year," I said.

"It's going to be quite a year," he said.

"It will. Presidential elections. Low-carbon mania. Increased guilt-trips for anyone who travels to work more than a few hundred yards. Inflation. Looks like being a great year to hibernate through," I said.

"You really think it will be that bad?" he asked, uncertainty creeping into his voice.

"With the Fed cutting interest rates instead of putting them up, it's going to be near chaos," I said. "Property prices will continue to inflate, but be spongy; no one will be encouraged to save a dime, and company profits will be hit by trying to cut greenhouse gas emissions. Trying to convince people that it's worth paying more for things they throw away anyway because it's 'greener' will only appeal to the dedicated fringe," I said.

"You're being very cynical," Andrew replied.

"Why shouldn't I be? We've had a Republican president for eight years who has done more for Hilary Clinton's campaign than Bill has. The economy's shot full of holes and losses are stacking up. The Chinese are buying Wall Street and the stock market goes up because all the twelve year olds who work there think it's a great thing because they can keep their jobs for another 24 hours."

"It's the American Way 2.0," Andrew said.

"I preferred the American Way 101," I replied.

"Well, you're coming up to retirement. Why not just take it as an audit. Happy new year!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home